Thursday, March 31, 2011

Confessions of a Texan

Source: http://www.huckleberryprairie.com/blog/chappell-hill-tx-scarecrow-festival/ 

I have a confession to make - 
I've spent the last almost 23 years of my life thinking it was illegal to pick bluebonnets. Every year, I anticipate that flip of the switch where the shoulders of our highways and grassy green hill country turn into a deep blue ocean of waves. Never once did I worry that someone would dare to pluck a bluebonnet from Texas soil....until yesterday.

We had a few visitors from our other offices this week. One Cooky Bird from another office in the great state of Texas decided to pull over on her way down to H-town to do the dirty. No, not that dirty (get your minds out of the gutter)...but she picked bluebonnets! I repeat, she picked BLUEBONNETS! As I passed the visitor office she was using for her stay, out of the corner of my eye I noticed them on the edge of her desk and gasped (quite loudly, I'm sure). I walked back up to my desk appalled that a Texan would do such a thing. Risk getting a fine just to bring a few bluebonnets that you picked up on the side of the road to the office with a view? Wow. So I immediately messaged a co-worker to A) tell her about how odd I thought it was that she randomly picked fresh flowers to bring to the office and stick in a vase, and B) that I was pretty sure it's illegal in the state of Texas to pick bluebonnets.

This is when I learned that B is false. FALSE?!!! How could it be? Well, my friends, there is actually no law that proves B to be true. Wait, what? Is this like the laws we learned as kids? Don't run with scissors in your hands; you'll cut yourself. Don't pick up tails-up pennies from the ground; they're unlucky. Don't go outside barefoot; you'll catch a cold. Don't sit too close to the TV; you'll go blind. Don't make that face, it'll get stuck. Don't, don't, don't.

Ok, so it may not be illegal, but I'm 99.9 percent sure it's bad joo-joo. And I'm 2010 percent* sure that it's especially bad joo-joo when you not only pick bluebonnets, but haphazardly shove them into a drinking glass after a 4 hour drive, and then before you leave, "share" them in the lunch room for every one else's viewing pleasure. See Exhibit A.



Exhibit A


Don't mess with Texas.

Thanks and Gig'em!



I'm Marcy Magoo, and I approve this message.


*whoop!

No comments:

Post a Comment