Saturday, April 2, 2011

April Fools: Office Prankery Part 1

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways....

I. LOVE. April Fools' Day.  Period.  Exclamation, over, and out! April Fools' Day is almost as good as Christmas and birthdays. Everyone's wheels are at work trying to secretly plot a prank of epic proportions on the unsuspecting target....just great. 
"I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT!!!!"
This brings us to the office prankery of 2011. Let's take a look.

The Target
Nir

Conspirators
Sandra 
Robert 
Stacy
Yours Truly

The Prank
The Wednesday before April Fools', Sandra came up to my desk and asked for some help with pranking Nir.  I was in before she even disclosed any details. She goes on to explain that since we've sold a big portfolio of properties, there will be a series of dog & pony shows with the buying company. So, Friday there's going to be a " 10 a.m. meeting" *wink, wink* where the company will be coming to us. His boss, Stacy, drafted up an "email" that she sent to Sandra (and cc'd Sandra's boss) detailing everything she needed him to do for this meeting. Thing is, he never got it. They needed me to set the wheel in motion by calling Nir around 9:45 a.am. to explain that I just received a phone call from the company and they wanted to let Nir and Sandra know they were on their way, but running late. I would also tell him that I couldn't get a hold of Sandra, so he may also need to track her down. Since he never got the "email", panic would set in, and he would run to find Sandra to figure out what meeting he was supposed to be ready for in t-minus 15 minutes. Sandra would then pull out the "email", clearly addressed to him. More panic. Wild goose chase to set up. A little more panic. APRIL FOOLS!!!

The Email

Show Time
9:45 a.m.: Sandra calls. It's time.
Me: *ring, ring* Hey, Nir. It's Taryn. [Company] just called and wanted to let you and Sandra know they are on their way but they're running a little late. I can't get a hold of Sandra, have you seen her?
Nir: (Cool as a cucumber) Oh, ok. Thanks! No, I haven't seen her, but I'll go find her. Hey, did they say who it was?
Me: No, and I'm sorry...I didn't ask. He just said they were with [Company].
Nir: Ok, thanks. Hmmm...ok, I'll take care of it. (Still cool as a cucumber) Hey, do you know what meeting? Did they say?
Me: No, I'm not really sure. Sorry, they weren't big on specifics. I figured you only had one at 10.
Nir: Oh, ok. Alright. Hmmm...I bet it's the Austin meeting. Ok, thanks alot! Appreciate it.
Me: No problem! Bye. *click*

I messaged Sandra.
"He totally bought it. Didn't suspect a thing. Keep me posted"

10:15 a.m.: He's bustin' a sweat. [Company] "arrival". Time to reveal.
Sandra comes back up to tell me give him a call in the training room and tell him [Company] is here and she'll walk them back. He's squirmed enough.

Me: *ring, ring*
Nir: hello?!?!?!?!??!?! (I could see beads of sweat through his panicked voice, and hear him running around the room setting up computers)
Me: Hey, it's Taryn. [Company] is here. Sandra's walking them back.
Nir: oh, sh!t. Ok. Ok, thanks. Bye. (more scrambling)

I walk back with Sandra and we pick up people along the way. Sandra opens the door and announces [Company]'s arrival. Nir's red face focuses in on who is standing with her. Stops dead in his tracks. Doubles over in relief...
"OMG! YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! PAYBACK'S A B!TCH!!!"

"APRIL FOOLS!!!!"

Laughter ensues.....and even louder as we inspect the scene. He had our little IT friend help him get the appropriate number of laptops ready (we didn't fill him in on the prank, but he didn't really need to know). Robert, who works in Nir's department, played the double agent by helping Nir setting up the reports and applications, but kept us updated on Nir's status. Nir then looks to Robert...."Robert! Were you in on this the whole time?" Robert falls out of his chair laughing. He even had a couple trays of snacks laid out for our visitors! He didn't suspect a thing! And here's why...




No comments:

Post a Comment