Sunday, April 10, 2011

Coiled Phone Cords

Photo courtesy of this page


Can we just talk about how much I dislike the coiled phone cords? I really don't like them. Sure, they take up less space and recoil themselves, but never in a kink/tangle-free fashion. I suppose that's one of the reasons why cordless phones were invented.  But of course the corporate 8 to 5 world never adopted this handy innovation. That'd be kind of weird, though ... employees answering their desk phones, pacing around the office, twiddling with random knick knacks on other people's desks. Maybe that's where the headset came in. But I can't honestly say I'm a fan of those either; they hurt my ears and you feel like you're still wearing it hours after you've taken it off. Maybe I'm just being sensitive, but try wearing a walkie-talkie head set for almost 72 hours (thanks ARC). I couldn't imagine being part of the Secret Service.  So now I've come full circle and am back to square one. That's a lot of shapes for one thought. Apparently there are other people in this world who share my disdain for these cords, which probably inspired the invention of the Swivel Jack that swivels the cord to your every move. I'm still not convinced. I think the only good thing about coiled cords (aside from the fact that they take up less room) is the recoil factor. If you happen to drop the phone you can quickly yank the cord and the phone will come flying back to you. Just be sure you actually catch it and don't give yourself a black eye ... that'd be unfortunate. And kind of funny. I guess I'm just left with untangling my desk phone cord, which isn't really all too difficult, nor does it take much time. It's just a smidge inconvenient when you're a little O.C.D. about certain things. Maybe it's just a reminder not everything can be perfect. C'est la vie.

P.T.
Secret Service ... for an organization priding themselves on their secrecy, they certainly don't look very secret. At least the posse protecting the President & Pals doesn't look very secret. I'm sure their actions are indeed quite secret. But, they're all suited-up and stand in that authoritative stance with their heads turned ever so slightly to look out into the distance. Their brows are furrowed not because the sun is in their eyes (the dark shades help with that), but because they want you to know they mean business and they're anticipating the worst when they watch your every move. AND THEY ALL HAVE THE COILED EARPIECE!! No, I'm on to YOU, Mr. Secret Service Man. Just kidding. I'm sure you could have me arrested in .9 seconds for blinking twice and scratching my ear because that could be some secret code of yours. I'm just saying if you're not worried about keeping a secret appearance, why don't you have a little fun with the "uniform"? Dang. I've probably triggered some alarm when I started this P.T. and now have a squad of agents posting up outside my door step waiting for the go-ahead to kick in the door. In which case just ring the doorbell and I'll let you in. I've got some leftover chicken pot pie I can heat up.

P.T.T.
In all seriousness, this P.T. (as do most) taught me something. Check out the history of the U.S. Secret Service here if you're interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment