Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Yia Yia Black Sheep, Have You Any ZZZs?

As I was lying wide awake in bed last night, I thought of the old wives’ tale about how counting sheep will help you fall asleep faster. Why sheep?


I frequently feel like the girl in this comic strip before I fall asleep- questioning why we do the things we do and wonder what it would be like if we did it some other random way. Okay, fine, Yia Yia … I’ll humor you just this once.

*DRAMATIZATION*

I was in a large, green, clover-filled pasture leaning against a big rock, with my buddy Sam Sheepdog, while we kept watch on our sheep jumping the fence. Well, I only got up to No. 8 because No. 9 was vertically challenged and couldn’t quite clear the fence. Can I get a mulligan? Sheeps 1-8 hopped back over and round two begins. I gave No. 9 a pep talk and told him to take a longer running start. Thirteen sheep are now successfully on the opposite side of the fence, but now No. 14 is chasing a squirrel, sheeps 15 and 16 are fighting, and I just found a note that said little Jimmy Johnson took No. 17 to the rodeo for the World Championship Mutton Bustin’ Contest. I decide to let them duke it out and just come back to counting them later. What number was I on? Oh yes, 18 – 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 … Hey, 27, stop tripping 24 and get back in line!  Dammit 25, how many times do I have to tell you? It’s OVER the fence, not through it. Now I've got the rest of my sheep taking off through the big gaping hole. Splendid! Can I get a new flock? This isn't very relaxing at all. I can’t sleep.

Wait a tic, why did I let them jump the fence in the first place? Aren’t I supposed to be herding them? Where do they think they’re going? These old wives’ husbands must have been really pissed off at them for letting all their sheep go. Someone has some ‘splaining to do.

Can I please trade my sad excuse of sheep for a fun flock of fleece like this one?






P.W.
Can we just talk about that nursery rhyme “Baa Baa, Black Sheep”? That tune sounds all too familiar … oh, that’s right! We’ve heard it before in Twinkle Twinkle Little Star AND The Alphabet Song! Next time someone uses that little ditty for a nursery rhyme, can we maybe get a little creative and drop a bass line in there or something to spice it up a bit? Just sayin'. Thanks.


Sources:
This video of the awesome flock of sheep was part of a cool Samsung campaign (linked in their press release) announcing their 2009 LED Electronic line up. Check out the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment